Thursday, October 2, 2008

World Road Championships, Varese, Italy

So my first World road championships didn't quite play out as I saw it in my head. 200 of the worlds fastest road riders, on a technically demanding course, over 260km, not sure what I was expecting but it was going to be a tall ask just to finish, let alone get a "result". We had to do 15laps of the 17km course and the race would take the better part of about six and half hours. So the plan was to ride in the bunch, save every bit of energy and then when the racing really starts with 5 laps to go, be there and there about to follow the moves. This worked fine until lap 12 where I knew it was time to move up in the peleton, except after 200km the legs were feeling the effect of the many climbs and corners, and i simply got tailed of the bunch. When you dropped at Worlds, even though you still in a small group, the guys just stop. I guess the race is over and there is no point in banging your head against a wall for another 60km. Anyway, it was a great experience and with half a million screamimg fans around the course, was an incredible vibe. The info I got out of my SRM was the best part, I have some incredible data to use now and if selected again, have a much better idea of the training required to compete on this level.
So great to be home, in a routine and just absorbing all the racing I have done over the past 6weeks. We should have some awesome form left now for the Crater Cruise and to hopefully defend my Drifter Series title. Otherwise it's just great to be back on my fat tires and in the Harkerville forest! Till then, ciao.

No comments: